When making selections for your renovation, extension or new build, it is easy to get lost in the overwhelming array of options. So, here we provide handy hints to help you select like a pro!
Selecting Windows – where to start?
Like so many choices you have to make when building or renovating, you will feel less overwhelmed if you begin to do your research prior to making your choice. This will help you feel less pressured and more prepared.
A quick scan of the Bradnams website https://www.bradnams.com.au/ and you will quickly realise that there is an abundance of options available!
Some questions you need to consider for each space when selecting options for windows:
- Do you need to capture a view?
- Is there a requirement for privacy (eg: nearby neighbours, bathrooms).
- Consider the aspect of the room, will it require shelter from the bite of the western summer rays, or are you wanting to open up to let in the warmth of the winter sun?
- What window furnishings are you planning? This could alter the ease of access of certain window styles.
- What is the function of the window – does it need to open to be a servery, or is there a safety issue if it were opened?
- What is the style, theme or period of your home?
- Is there any accessibility you need to consider or would like to have?
Having answers to these questions at the ready, will make it easier for your representative to direct you to the most suitable, appropriate window choices.
Your Window Choices are clear…
(See what we did there?!)
Be ready to make decisions for each space such as:
- Type of glass
- Thermal coating
- Colours of the aluminium frame
- Style – there are many to choose from including:
- Double Hung
- Fixed Panel
Bring your building plans
This will often immediately help narrow down selections as the builder may have already indicated the styles required on your plan.
Check your contract selections & inclusions
Your builder may have already noted certain selections included in the contract, if so, bring this with you as this helps the consultant to advise within your budget.
Make a booking
Our friends at Bradnams advise you to book an appointment in advance; this way they have a dedicated consultant ready to walk you through your selections without having interruptions or feeling pressured to make a deadline. This sounds like a great idea to us!
Take your time
Don’t book back to back appointments, you’ll only feel rushed. You’ll be living with these choices for many years to come, so eliminate regret by taking the time planning ahead and enjoy the process!
REMEMBER: There are knowledgeable people to help guide your selections
Still feeling overwhelmed or not sure where to start? Contact your builder or your local supplier for windows and doors – they are there to guide you in your decisions so that you’ll enjoy looking out those windows for years to come.
Otherwise check out our video series What to Expect When You’re Selecting here.